Saturday, January 24, 2015

Facebook Challenge Part 1

Artists on Facebook are challenging one another to post three images a day for five days. Artists are suppose to invite a new artist to post each day and they will follow the same rules. This is like the ice bucket challenge (i.e. peer pressure challenge) for artists. I will thank New Mexico based painter Scott Anderson and book artist Jeff Abshear (he is the director of the Kalamazoo Book Art Center), for this opportunity to plaster Facebook with odd pictures. At least I am assured they will enjoy my pictures and may be pleased that the challenge is alive outside Facebook. Also, one of the advantages of not being on Facebook is that I can curate my peers into this post. The following are examples by Anderson and Abshear:

Painting by Scott Anderson
Book Page by Jeff Abshear

The theme I chose for day on are "car" paintings. Specifically, the cars I have owned. Some say "you are your car". In other words here are three (or four) self portraits.
Kip Deeds, Self Portrait and Subaru, 2001
Kip Deeds, Self Identification, 2001
Kip Deeds. Passed By, 2009
As part of this challenge process, I chose Dawson Weber to next take part in this challenge. He is one of the few artists I know living in L.A. who also is a Midwesterner through and through. Go Dawson!

Dawson Weber, Study for Malagasy Notebooks (October, pp. 2-3), 2010

No comments: